Auza Wave Packets ‘A Versatile New Wave Source’ For Eurorack Modular Synths
Audio design duo Auza has introduced their first Eurorack module, Wave Packets, which they describe as “a highly versatile production tool kit in 16HP”.
Capable of generating complex envelopes, modulation signals and audio, the module allows you to sculpt your sound by producing time-limited signals or “wave packets”.
Each wave packet is determined in four primary dimensions: time, depth, frequency and wave shape. With five distinct unipolar and bipolar outputs, a wide range of shapes and sounds can be produced: an envelope growing from nothing to wild oscillation, a punchy bass drum, a ping-multiplied burst generator, an amplitude-varying LFO or timbre-morphing oscillator.
Wave Packets can operate in three excitation modes: trigger, gate, and cycle.
Once animated, the 3 depth sliders sculpt the wave packet’s overall contours, whilst the wave shape, glide and 3 frequency controls determine its oscillations through time.
The five outputs map five distinct interactions between the contour function and oscillations. These can be summarized as: the pure contour, the unipolar wave, the resonating contour, the capsulated oscillator and the pure oscillator.
The module is fully self-patchable, allowing for new wave packet models to be achieved. Examples include patching a unipolar output into wave shape CV for morphing across timbres, or patching a bipolar output into depth CV to achieve audio-rate modulation. By using multiple outputs at the same time, Wave Packets can also act as a hub for orchestrating movement across patches.
- Create novel control voltage shapes, or use as an audio source
- 5 simultaneously usable outputs with distinct models – 3 unipolar, 2 bipolar
- 24-bit wavetable manipulation audio oscillator, voltage-precise LFO
- Continuous wave shape morphing, including PWM and variable skew triangle
- Contour function drawn from 3 slider controls
- 4 adjustable time stages and optional sustain stage, with LED indication
- Colour-frequency representation LEDs
- Traverses through 3 frequencies with glide control
- 3 excitation/ trigger modes, including a pingable stages cycle mode
- Ping input frequency/ rate control, with multiplication/ division or offset controls
- EOS, EOC outputs
- 16-bit tracking V/OCT input, 10V range. Accepts -V for FM use
- Depth and wave shape CV inputs
- Skiff-friendly 25mm, 16HP module
Pricing and Availability
Wave Packets is expected to be available in early 2021. Pricing is to be announced.