Roland SP-404 mkII Coming In November For $500
Roland has officially introduced the SP-404 MKII, a major update to the SP-404 sampler design with a vivid OLED display, 17 expressive pads, expanded effects, fluid sequencing and sampling, and a massive sample library.
Here’s what they have to say about it:
“Lightning-fast boot time, project loading, and sample import will have you knocking out beats in no time. Plus, 16 GB of internal storage give you ample space to store your creations or have your favorite samples at the ready. Whether you’re a beatmaking newbie or an SP pro, you’ll feel right at home with the intuitive layout and classic SP effects, plus a revamped sampling and sequencing workflow, Skip Back Sampling for quick performance capture, DJ mode to mix beats live, and more.
The SP-404MKII makes on the go beatmaking even easier. With its lightweight-yet-rugged design and expanded features, this unit is ideal for making amazing sounding beats on the move. Run it on AA or mobile battery power, capture audio from or stream directly to your mobile device via USB, or collab with a partner using the dual headphones outputs and mic/guitar input.
With the SP-404MKII’s vivid OLED screen and zoomable waveform view, sample editing is smooth?as silk. Chop up samples by tapping out edit points in real time?or?slice samples automatically.?Then finesse them with envelope and pitch shift.?Use the new resampling workflow to re-record patterns and effects layers for detailed sound design. And with?Skip Back Sampling, you can?preserve?those?fire?moments by capturing?up to 25 seconds of audio from your last?jam.?Now, it’s never been easier to?dial in and?cook up?beats?the moment inspiration strikes.”
- OLED display for visual waveform editing, full menu access, and more
- 17 velocity-sensitive, RGB pads with no-click design for smooth playability
- Faster workflow with quick startup and load times, 16 GB internal storage, low-latency pads, and rapid sample editing
- Compact, ultra-lightweight design (2.6 lb./1.2 kg) with versatile power options: USB-C, mobile battery (via USB-C port), six AA batteries, or AC adaptor
- Extensive onboard effects, including SP classics like Vinyl Simulator and DJFX Looper, new Lo-fi, Cassette Simulator, and Resonator effects, and dedicated Vocoder, Auto Pitch, and Guitar Amp Simulator effects for the mic/guitar input
- 32-voice polyphony, 160 samples per project, and 16 internal projects for expanded programming possibilities
- Blazing onboard sample editing with real-time or auto-chop mode, auto BPM detect, envelope, pitch shift, and resampling for layering sounds and phrases
- Pre-loaded sound library with 144 high-quality, professionally recorded samples and patterns
- Extensive customization options with removable metal faceplate, downloadable outline template, multiple screensavers, and personalized startup logos
- Upgraded I/O includes 1/4-inch line in/out, 1/4-inch mic/guitar input, 1/4-inch and 1/8-inch headphones outputs, and 1/8-inch TRS MIDI in/out
- New resampling workflow for re-recording with various effects for detailed sound design
- Audio capture and streaming supported with mobile devices and computers via USB-C
- Skip Back Sampling to automatically capture up to 25 seconds of audio from your last performance
- Bus FX for layering multiple effects, with customizable routing for creating intricate sound textures
- Adjustable quantization and shuffle percentage across multiple note resolutions to customize swing
- Pattern sequencer with the ability to create full songs with BPM per bank, ideal for running backing tracks or programming performances
- Chain patterns for automatic playback and use Pad Link to trigger up to four samples with a single press
- DJ Mode enables new approaches to live performance by manipulating and mixing two separate audio files
- SP-404MKII editor software for Mac and Windows provides direct sample access, detailed waveform editing, sample management, pad assignment, and import of MIDI files and legacy SP-404SX and SP-404A projects
Pricing and Availability
The Roland SP-404 mkII is expected to be available in November 2021, with a street price of about $500.