Moog Music Takes Animoog Z To A New Dimension
A decade after its release as Moog Music’s first professional synthesizer for iOS, Animoog has been reborn as Animoog Z.
Animoog Z expands on the original by extending modulation into three dimensions. It also can be used as an MPE controller and the synth engine has full MPE support.
Here’s a video performance by synth pioneer Suzanne Ciani, featuring Animoog Z:
An Immersive Moog Synthesizer Experience
Animoog, the anisotropic wavetable synthesis app introduced by Moog Music in 2011, changed the face of iOS music production with its approach to dimensional sound design and uniquely interactive touch surface interface.
Ten years and more than 700,000 downloads later, Moog has completely redesigned the app – dubbed Animoog Z – with “more futuristic” functionality and creative workflows for producers and sound designers.
Animoog Z is a 16-voice polyphonic synthesizer that is powered by Moog’s innovative Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE), which utilizes an orbit system to expand the concepts of wavetable and vector synthesis. This unique synthesis concept allows for dynamic navigation through the app’s X, Y, and Z axes for evolving and layered sound.
Animoog Z expands on what users most loved about the original Animoog app, now with a more streamlined user experience, “powerful” new features, and availability on a wider range of operating platforms.
Animoog Z’s Features & Functionality.
Developers describe getting started with Animoog Z as “immediate and intuitive” – the user can simply select and drag the orbit path to create sonic configurations as the patch travels through an array of timbres.
Use Animoog Z’s built-in configurable keyboard to control pitch and pressure per voice (or to send MIDI out), or connect an MPE controller to explore Animoog Z’s MPE-compliant sound engine.
Animoog Z’s library of timbres includes digital tones and spectral sources alongside analog waveforms captured from classic Moog oscillators (both vintage and modern), all run through “a boutique’s worth” of high-end outboard and analog signal processors. These include modular synth circuits, Moog analog effects, and more.
New to Animoog Z, the built-in Timbre Editor allows users to record and design custom timbres, turning “any sound … into a source for musical inspiration.”
- Three-Dimensional Anisotropic Synth Engine (ASE) – ASE allows the user to move dynamically through the X, Y, and Z axes of unique timbres to create an expressive and constantly-evolving soundscape. Sonic modulations are visualized in real time, providing a multi-sensory feedback mechanism for sound creation.
- Available as an AUv3 Plugin (iOS, macOS) – Animoog Z, available for Apple mobile devices and desktop use, integrates seamlessly with your DAW of choice.
- Built-in Timbre Editor & Recorder – Go beyond sample playback and build unique sounds that evolve in multidimensional space. Assemble your sound from a wide variety of timbres recorded from vintage and modern Moog synthesizers. Customize your sound and record your own timbres (or import your own .WAV files) with the built-in timbre recorder.
- Full MPE Support – Use Animoog Z’s built-in keyboard to control pitch and pressure per voice (or send MIDI out), or connect your favorite MPE controller and explore the app’s MPE-compliant sound engine.
- Professionally-Designed Presets – Quickly explore a range of artist-designed presets with the free version of Animoog Z. [To discover more inspiring sounds and timbres, unlock the app’s full sound design and production functionality, as well as additional presets for just $9.99. Additional expansion preset packs professionally designed for production and performance use are also available to purchase.]
- Multiplatform Experience: Share presets, timbres, and in-app purchases across your compatible Apple devices.
- Path Module: Direct the synth engine through Animoog Z’s X/Y/Z space to create exciting and shifting sounds.
- Orbit Module: Independently control the rate of orbit in the X/Y/Z space to create interesting three-dimensional visual shapes for subtle to extreme voice manipulation.
- Polyphonic Modulation: Take control of Animoog Z’s highly regarded touch surface keyboard with configurable scales, key distances, pitch correction, and glide. Simply slide your fingers to control multiple per-voice modulation parameters in Animoog Z right from the keys.
- Polyphonic Pitch Shifting: Easily manipulate the exact pitch of each note in a chord by rotating or sliding your fingers.
- Base Frequency Offset: Alter Animoog Z’s 440Hz base frequency by +/- 10Hz to tune up with non-traditional instruments or detuned samples—or simply to explore new vibrations.
- ENV/LFO Page: Articulate your dynamics with three independent six-stage DAHDSR envelopes for Amp, Filter, and Mod, each with loop and sync functionality. Give motion to your sound with three independent LFOs featuring continuously variable wave shapes, phase offset, delayed start, sync, and support for 1-8 repeats.
- MOD Page: Highly flexible modulation matrix with 10 lanes and a multitude of sources, controllers, and destinations—including global destinations like Delay and Thick. Use the Solo and Enable controls to explore complex modulations layer by layer.
- Effects Page: A collection of dynamic sound-altering and sound-augmenting effects, each with oscilloscope-style views of their output and impact.
- Arpeggiator Module: Built-in arpeggiator with multiple patterns, octaves, time division, gate, and latch features for programmable syncopation and melodic motion.
- Moog Filter Module: The classic four-pole Moog ladder filter with High Pass, Low Pass, and Band Pass modes.
- Thick Module: From bit crushing to unison voice detuning and drive, this module adds depth, edge, and character to Animoog Z’s already massive sound palette.
- Delay Module: Classic analog-style delay with echo and ping-pong settings.
- Looper Module: Record your performance and overdub new layers, or play along live. Transfer recordings between Animoog Z and other apps, email, and messenger.
- Global BPM with Tap Tempo: Easily change tempo and sync multiple Animoog Z parameters to the beat.
- Ableton Link Support: Stay in sync across devices with full Ableton Link support.
- Optimized Preset and Timbre Organization: Advanced preset and timbre browsing with groups and tagging, including powerful sharing features and integration with iCloud drive for sharing across your own devices.
- Typing, Shortcut, and Undo/Redo Support: Full control from a typing keyboard, including useful shortcuts and a full menu system on macOS. Full undo/redo system on macOS through the menus and by shaking the device on iOS.
- MIDI: Use your favorite MIDI controller to control Animoog Z (with full support for MPE input) or go MIDI out to use Animoog Z’s highly expressive keyboard to control your favorite instruments. Dive even deeper with Animoog Z’s exhaustive MIDI CC mapping system featuring MIDI Learn, multiple destinations for a single CC, and detailed control of which presets are loaded with program change.
- Randomized Presets: The Random Preset function intelligently generates different values for all of Animoog Z’s sound engine parameters. It even makes up a name for you. Combined with the Selective Loading options, it’s possible to only randomize specific modules of the current sound while preserving others.
Pricing and Availability
The universal Animoog Z app is available now via the App Store for iPad, iPhone, Mac, as an AUv3, and through a VST wrapper for integration in all DAWs that support AUv2, AUv3, and VST3. Download and explore the app for free with the option to upgrade in order to unlock Animoog Z’s full functionality for an introductory price of $9.99. Visit Moog Music for more information.