M²Synth 5U Modular Synth Now Available To Pre-Order
Soundtronics has launched a Kickstarter project to fund production of the M²Synth, a full-size 5U modular analog synthesizer system that’s designed to be affordable and expandable.
“We set ourselves the challenge of designing a modular synth that would not only sound great and look the part but be more affordable than other similar-sized systems,” they note. “After 2 years of R&D, we are excited to reveal the M²Synth. With your help, we can put the M²Synth into production and allow more budding analog enthusiasts and established musicians to enjoy the wonders that 5U modular synths bring.”
The focus of their launch campaign is on complete modular synth systems. After the Kickstarter systems ship, they plan on making all systems, modules and Pods available individually.
Soundtronics shared these goals for their system:
- A complete solution, not just focusing on module manufacturing
- Significantly lower cost than comparable synths
- To retain the retro module look but in a modern sleek design
- To reduce the overall size of the modular, especially depth (low profile)
- Portability for those gigging or going to meets
- Expandability without obsolescence
- Robust and hard-wearing
- Ease of use and not ‘fiddly’
Here’s a sample patch, featuring their Chord 102 VCO, State Variable Filter 112, 2 LFOs and an ADSR:
Pricing and Availability
The M²Synth is available in a variety of configurations to project backers, with pricing starting at about $1,371 for a 9-module system.
Note: Kickstarter projects can involve risks, which is documented on the project site.