VCV Rack Creator Andrew Belt has announced that – after 2 years of development – VCV Rack 2 is now available.
VCV Rack 2 is a major update to the popular virtual Eurorack modular synthesizer. The update delivers more than 100 new features, including the option to use Rack 2 as a plugin within your DAW.
VCV Rack is designed to offer the flexibility of modular synthesis, without the cost of a hardware system.
Here’s what’s new in VCV Rack 2:
- Dark room mode, with adjustable room brightness.
- Module selections to save, share, edit, and move around selections of modules. (New .vcvs selection format.)
- Enhanced module browser to zoom, favorite, and sort your module collection.
- Redesigned UI and built-in modules.
- Port tooltips, context menu, and key commands for faster control of patch cables.
- Optimized real-time engine with multiple audio interface support (if supported by manufacturers’ drivers).
- Add/remove individual modules from the VCV Library to fine-tune your module collection.
VCV Rack 2 Pro also includes a VST plugin, for full integration with your DAW:
- Save patches inside your DAW project.
- Instrument/effect plugin.
- Up to 16 audio input/output channels.
- Process vocals, guitar, etc. with Rack as an effect plugin.
- Perform Rack as an instrument plugin with 8 stereo (or 16 mono) outputs.
- Send recorded or live DAW tracks directly into Rack using 8 stereo (or 16 mono) “sidechain” inputs.
- 16 MIDI input/output channels.
- Generate MIDI for other DAW tracks with Rack’s sequencer modules.
- Record and play back notes, gates, and CV with MIDI clips in your DAW.
- Parameter automation of up to 1024 knobs, sliders, and buttons in your patch so you can record, play back, and tweak your modular performance.
- Multiple instances with low processing overhead.
- Offline rendering when exporting your project mixdown or pre-rendering tracks.
- Resizable plugin window.
Pricing and Availability
VCV Rack 2 is available now, with the following options:
- Free (open-source): Standalone application.
- Pro ($149 regular price, $99 until 2022): Standalone, VST2, more plugin formats coming soon.
- A bundle containing Rack 2 Pro + VCV Drums + VCV Sound Stage is also available until 2022 for $139, having a regular price of $209.