WEBMIDI.js v3 Now Available
WEBMIDI.js is designed to make it easy for web developers to create browser-based applications that can interact with MIDI instruments.
Version 3 has been rewritten from scratch to make it both future-proof and backwards-compatible. It uses a modern development paradigm and now has its own dedicated website at webmidijs.org.
The library offers numerous new features such as:
- Support for Node.js. The exact same code can be used in supported browsers and in Node.js.
- Distribution in 3 flavours: ESM (ECMAScript module for modern browsers), CJS (CommonJS module for Node.js) and IIFE (Immediately Invoked Function Expression for legacy browsers and ad hoc usage).
- TypeScript Support. Every new release includes a TypeScript definition file for CJS and ESM in the
OutputChannelobjects. You can now work with a single MIDI channel if that’s appropriate for your needs.
Noteobject. Makes it easier to work with notes and pass them around from one method to the next.
Messageobject that allows easier routing of MIDI messages, including the ability to automatically forward inbound MIDI messages to one, or more, outputs.
- Improved support for system exclusive (sysex) messages.
- Support for promises, while preserving legacy callback support.
- Improved support for RPN/NRPN messages.
- Addition of hundreds of unit tests to make sure the library remains stable at all times.
See the webmidijs site for details or to download.