Behringer ‘Clones Themselves’, Intros Proton Synthesizer
Behringer today introduced an original synth design, the Proton, that’s designed to be a semi-modular partner to their Neutron synth.
“This time we cloned ourselves…,” they note.
Here’s what they have to say about it:
“The Proton is a semi modular synth, with a 64 patch points and dual oscillators with 5 blending waveforms, oscillator sync, pulse width modulation and individual sub-oscillators take sound creation into another dimension. It also includes a utility section with Attenuverters, multiples, signal/CV mixer and summer for creative patching.
Just imagine the possibilities when cross patching with the Neutron – truly mind boggles.
But we didn’t stop the innovation there and we added great features like Wave Folding, Looping Reversible Envelopes and Sub Oscillators that will shake the foundations of the synth world.
There are 2 flexible LFOs with 5 waveforms, MIDI clock sync, key sync, phase and depth controls.”
- Paraphonic mode allows both oscillators to be independently controlled for multi-timbral sounds
- Semi-modular design requires no patching for immediate performance
- Analog signal path based on authentic VCO, VCF and VCA designs
- Dual oscillators with 5 waveforms, oscillator sync, pulse width modulation and individual sub-oscillators
- Oscillator waveform control blends seamlessly between 5 shapes (tone mod, pulse, sawtooth, triangle and sine)
- 2 self-oscillating, multi-mode VCFs can be configured in parallel or series with linkable CVs
- 2 ASR envelopes with reverse/inverse/loop/bounce options to control VCAs and wave folder
- 2 analog ADSR generators for modulating the VCFs for unique sound performance
- Multi-mode wave folder adds rich harmonic content and massive flexibility to the LFOs
- 2 flexible LFOs with 5 waveforms, MIDI clock sync, key sync, phase and depth controls
- Noise generator dramatically expands waveform generation
- External audio can be summed into one or both VCFs to massively enhance sound generation
- Utility functions include attenuverters, multiples, signal/CV mixer and summer for creative patching
- External audio input with level control and soft clipping circuit for processing external sound sources
- 64 patch points for advanced modular connection and integration with external equipment
- 68 controls give you direct and real-time access to all important parameters
- Eurorack format –main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
- MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
Pricing and Availability
Behringer says that “We also cloned our price – US$ 299.” Availability is TBD, because production is waiting on chip availability.