Behringer’s Latest Synth, Model 15, Copies The Moog Grandmother
Behringer today introduced the Model 15 semi-modular Euro-format all-in-one synthesizer.
The company says that the Model 15 semi-modular synthesizer is based on the legacy Model 15/35/55 circuitry, but with some added features. The Behringer Model 15 appears to directly copy the design of the Moog Grandmother, though, which itself was based on circuits from vintage Moog modular gear.
Here’s the front panel of the Grandmother:
The Model 15 has the same synth architecture and controls as the Grandmother, but moves patch points to the right side of the panel, as shown below.
In case there was any doubt about Behringer’s reference for the Model 15, they copied the Grandmother’s colors:
Like the Grandmother, the Model 15 also features a step sequencer and arpeggiator. But, while the original Grandmother incorporates an analog spring reverb, the Model 15 replaces this with a digital simulation.
- Analog synthesizer with dual VCO design
- Semi-modular design requires no patching for immediate performance
- Analog signal path
- Dual oscillators with 4 waveforms, oscillator sync, pulse width modulation and sub-oscillator
- 24 dB ladder filter with resonance
- Step sequencer with 3 separate 256-step memory slots, key transpose and multiple playback modes
- Arpeggiator, featuring hold function and multiple playback modes for recording and playing patterns
- Fully analog LFO with 4 waveforms and dedicated controls for pitch, filter and pulse width modulation
- Spring reverb emulation
- 48 patch points for modular connectivity
- 37 controls give you direct and real-time access to all important parameters
- Eurorack format – module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
- 16-voice Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16 voice polyphony
- MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
Pricing and Availability
The Behringer Model 15 is expected to be priced at $299. Like its other recent introductions, Behringer is not putting the Model 15 into production at this time because of parts constraints, so availability is to be announced.