Oberheim OB-X8 Synthesizer Goes Far Beyond The Capabilities Of Its Iconic Predecessors
Ahead of Superbooth 2022, photos and specifications have leaked for the Oberheim OB-X8 synthesizer.
The Oberheim OB-X8 is a new synth design, in the same family as classic synths like the OB-X, OB-Xa and OB-8. It’s an 8-voice analog design, with discrete SEM/OB-X VCOs, Curtis filters and envelopes based on the originals. It offers 400-plus factory programs, including the full set of factory sounds for the OB-X, OB-SX, OB-Xa, and OB-8.
But the OB-X8 also goes far beyond the capabilities of its iconic predecessors, featuring new filter options, the ability to dial in ‘Vintage’ variability, velocity sensitivity and aftertouch, new synthesis and modulation options and more.
Oberheim OB-X8 Specifications (Unofficial):
- 8-voice, pure-analog polyphony with sine, saw, square, triangle, and noise
- Two discrete SEM/OB-X-lineage VCOs per voice deliver classic punchy Oberheim tone
- Discrete SEM-lineage VCFs deliver authentic OB-X-style tone and presence
- Genuine Curtis filters add bold OB-Xa/OB-8 character
- Meticulously modeled envelope responses match each OB model: OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8
- The 61-key FATAR velocity- and touch-sensitive keyboard allows unparalleled expression and responsiveness
- Bi-timbral capability allows two presets simultaneously for splits and doubles
- 400-plus factory programs, including the full set of factory sounds for the OB-X, OB-SX, OB-Xa, and OB-8
- Integral, fanless, heatsink-free power supply
- Real walnut end cheeks
- High-resolution OLED display enables patch management and easy access to advanced features
- Classic Oberheim Pitch and Mod levers allow expressive note bending, vibrato, and access to arpeggiator functions
- Additional SEM Filter modes add high-pass, band-pass, and notch functions to the classic OB-X filter
- Vintage knob allows variable amounts of voice-to-voice variability to emulate the behavior of vintage instruments
- Velocity sensitivity adds expressiveness to volume and filter
- Channel Aftertouch adds real-time performance-based modulation
- Enhanced unison allows variable voice stacking from 1-8 voices
- Variable triangle wave cross-modulation
- Over 600 user-programmable preset locations
- Programmable per-voice pan allows wider stereo presence
- Variable oscillator and noise levels
Ins & Outs:
- Stereo and Mono outputs
- Volume, Sustain, and Filter inputs
- Arpeggiator clock input
- MIDI In, Out, Thru
Pricing and Availability:
Official details are still to be announced, but the Oberheim OB-X8 is expected to be priced around $5,000 USD and have a June 2022 release date.
Could the Oberheim OB-X8 the greatest synthesizer Tom Oberheim has ever designed? Check out the details and share your thoughts in the comments!
via 99musik, sequencer.de, modwiggler